Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Buckeyes 2008-2009


Well, that's it, we almost pulled out an upset against Texas. I could go on about how horrible the calls were and missed tackles and poor assignments and not reading plays. But if you go back to the beginning of the season and remember some of the struggles, we actually had a great year. More importantly than winning every game, I saw some great things not just on the field. I think the leadership has been very upstanding.

It makes me think about one day while driving to work I was trying to think of a really good gift to give my daughter's softball coach. Then it happened, on the radio they said the Jim Tressel was going to be at Lifeway Christian Bookstore. I was just about to pass the exit for Lifeway and the lightbulb came on. I could call in and get the day off and go to the store and get his autograph and give the book to her coach. The day was available, got it off and went to the store. A lady was walking up to the building so I stopped and asked her when the book signing was starting. She said the tickets would be handed out at 9:00am then the signing would start at 3pm sharp. And without a ticket you couldn't get a 'signed' book. So I sat in my car and waited, while waiting I thought to myself, 'hey, I've been wondering what to get for the school auction that my daughters' school would have in November, I think I just killed two birds with one stone.' So I waited in the car accross the street and took a little nap. Around 8:30 am, I went up to the front of the store and already there were about 8-10 people in line. Oh well, I grabbed my folding chair and plopped my butt down. It was kind of interesting, I started a conversation with the guy in line in front of me and he said he was a Michigan fan. Of course, everyone started giving him a hard time, just in fun. He said his wife is a Buckeye fan but he was there for a close friend's birthday gift. Not long after a couple sat down behind me and of course I included them in the ribbing of the Michigander. But while talking to them I found out they lived just a short distance from where I live and when I got home and talked to my wife about it she said she new him from a business meeting. Thought that was cool!

So when I got in I ended up being #15 which I wasn't sure how, but I guess some of the people in the store took the first few spots. So got my ticket and had almost five hours to wait till the BIG SIGNING! So, I walked around the Polaris mall, I mean walked around it. In other words outside the mall, all the way on the outside of the mall service road. I figured it was at least 1-2 miles of walking. I went inside the 'air conditioned' mall to cool off some. It was a nice break from the hustle and bustle. Then went to the Lifeway store and they had it roped off and we were to get into a line by number. I was in there by 2:15p just to be safe and I was glad I got there early, Tressel got there at about 2:45. I didn't have a camera but of course had my cell phone. Being a PDA, the friends I had made in line were a little coy about taking a picture with it. I agreed to take a picture with their camera of them if they would take one for me. They agreed and hence both got a pretty good pic of 'the man'. I also shook Tressel's hand and said I really appreciated all he has done for the Ohio State image. He reluctantly thanked me and signed the books and I was on my way.

The next day was my daughter's last game of the season and I got the book wrapped and ready so that at the end of the game I could give it to the coach. I decided to let my daughter give it to him. When he opened it, his jaw dropped and I think I saw a little tear in his eye. It was an awesome scene...

Then jump to Novemeber at the School auction, the book there sold for $65. I paid about $12. That was a pretty good investment. I wasn't out though, I went ahead and bought a third one while I was at the store for Muah......

The book is called 'The winners manual for life'. It speaks of much more than winning ball games but how to handle life issues. It is a good suggestion of how to have a good attitude, faith, and focus on the posiblilities. I believe it has had a good effect on many of the players. For example 3 of the most valuable players Robisky, Larenitous and Pryor started wearing the black eye paint but at the end of the season they were putting scripture in the face paint. The first time I saw this I was just elated... Also, this year there wern't as many players arrested for stupid stuff. And the overall attitude is much better. That is so much more important than always winning.

Thanks Tress!

No comments:

Post a Comment